Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Toxemia?

So yesterday I went in for my 38 week appointment. I was weighed (gained another 2lbs), gave a urine sample, and had my blood pressure taken (higher than normal) by the nurse. The doctor comes in and checks my feet and hands and sure enough they were swollen! She asked if my face seemed swollen I told her that I hadn't really noticed. (Now that I have actually thought about it my face has swollen as well!) Then she measures my belly, hears the baby's heartbeat (which is kinda funny cause it looked like the baby was on one side when she was really on the other so the doctor had a hard time finding that stinkers heartbeat), and "checks me." We find out that the baby is still big, I am a centimeter dialated, 70% effaced, the baby is still high (meaning she hasn't "dropped" yet), and I may have toxemia. (Toxemia is pregnancy induced hypertension that can have serious risks to the baby and the only cure is delivery.) The doctor says, "I'm not 100% convinced it's toxemia, but you can come in again on Thursday for a nurse's visit." (The nurse will take my weight, blood pressure, and a urine sample.) If anything comes up fishy I will get to go have a blood test! (Whoopee! NOT!) If in fact I do have toxemia I will get to be induced.
Now this is where I am so torn beyond relief! So, one half of me is saying that I better NOT have toxemia. I don't want to have it now because it makes it a greater chance that I will have it with other pregnancies. Also, it may come sooner in a different pregnancy causing my to have to worry my butt off in bed because I will be on bedrest. Plus I am not a huge fan of being induced. One, I am scared of needles, particularily IV's. Guess how they administer the pitocin (drug used to induce), yep, you guessed it, with an IV drip! Two, there are many people I have talked to who have been induced and they didn't have the best experience.
Now the other half of me is excited to finally "see the light at the end of the tunnel." If I have toxemia and have to be induced then I can finally have this baby. I won't have to be asked when I will have her anymore. I will get to meet my little girl and finally be able to hold her rather than carry her. I am so scared on delivery though. I like to know what I am getting into. And since my slacker butt didn't sign up for any classes I am going in there with no clue as to what to expect. I know that I will be relieved beyond measure when she gets here. Right now, as it always has been, it is in the Lord's hands. I must be patient and also understanding of what will come. So the world may get to meet Alexis Danielle on Thursday and if not she will be here soon enough.

1 comment:

Melissa Ash said...

Hi Angela!! I miss you so much!!! I am so sorry I didn't get to your baby shower! (darn it!) I am so excited that you have a blog! The kids at Butler are ok. We had a MAJOR meltdown today with T. Yikes!!!!
About being induced, it really isn't horrible. I was close to having Toxemia ( I kind of think that I had it full blown, but my blood pressure didn't go up until the very very end!) Anyway, I was induced 5 days before my due date, and I must say it was quite a relief. And labor is not bad at all!!! It is the recovery that I struggled with. No one ever tells you that the recovery can be harder than labor. Labor was a breeze, and such an amazing spiritual experience! You will do just great. Good luck. I can't wait to see pictures!
Melissa